- This event has passed.
MycoTek: The Art & Science of Mycelium Cultivation [ONLINE]
November 3 @ 10:00 am - 11:30 am
MycoTek: The Art & Science of Mycelium Cultivation
by The Psychedelic Society (UK)
There is a growing recognition of the therapeutic and health promoting potential of fungi. Rather than having to rely on buying supplements, one can easily grow their own fungi for consumption, yielding a high quality product for a fraction of the price.
Through a mixture of theory and practice, I will lead you through the process of growing your own lion’s mane fungi. Suitable for beginners, one could not hope to find a simpler way of cultivating their own fungi. It is low cost and requires minimal equipment or expensive tools, it has a very low environmental footprint and is well suited for people who lead busy lives or are tight on space.
While the methods learned here can apply to growing many different types of fungi, this workshop will focus on growing lion’s mane, which is known to have neurohealth promoting properties, among other benefits.
Through this workshop, I intend to empower people by giving them the means of being self sufficient in producing their own mycelium of whatever species they would like to grow, using a simple approach that is highly effective and immensely rewarding. Post workshop, people will have access to a walkthrough guide and variety of other resources to help them get growing.
What we will cover:
- Theory: Why do this, and what are the benefits of lion’s mane?
- An introduction to simple liquid culture techniques
- Preparing grain for inoculation
- How to perform inoculation with liquid mycelium
- Creation of one’s own culture jar lids
- Using a pressure cooker for sterilisation
- A guided walkthrough using presentation and practical experience of the process from start to finish
- Preparing mycelium grain for consumption with recommended recipes
- ‘How to’ guides and support information which you can use post session
- There will also be time for Q&A
What to bring:
- Please bring cheap jars / pickle jars for practical section
- This growing method uses a pressure cooker, but you will not need one for this workshop
About Your Facilitator
Sam Gandy is a lifelong nature lover, an ecologist, an amateur hobbyist mycologist, writer and speaker. A collaborator with the Centre for Psychedelic Research of Imperial College London, he has a particular interest in the capacity of psychedelics to (re)connect humans to the natural world. He is an experienced communicator, and would love to share his growing passion for cultivating fungi. Sam has had his fair share of setbacks and failures in the fungi growing game, and would like to assure anyone reading this that if he can do, they can to!
To join this event you’ll need to create a free zoom account which you can set up here: https://zoom.us
Instructions on how to join the call will be included in your confirmation email.