Psychedelics 101 & 102 for Clinicians [ONLINE]
October 23 @ 9:00 am - October 25 @ 2:00 pm
This 3-day training offered by psychologists Ingmar Gorman and Elizabeth Nielson is designed for clinicians and healthcare providers who want to learn more about current psychedelic research and clinical practice, including how to work with patients who have a history of psychedelic use or have expressed an interest in using psychedelics. This interactive training includes role plays, demonstrations, case examples, and experiential learning opportunities.
Psychedelics 101: Your patients are curious and so are you: What is all this about psychedelics being used for treatment of addiction and trauma? This session gives an overview of psychedelic drugs, their history, and current research with MDMA and Psilocybin-assisted therapy. This program includes an overview of recent and current clinical trials, outcomes, legal status, and what it all means for the future of addiction and trauma treatment.
- Discuss the historical justifications for psychedelic clinical research
- Describe key theoretical approaches to psychedelic-assisted therapy
- Discuss the state of psychedelic clinical research, rescheduling efforts, and how psychedelic-assisted psychotherapy works with clients
- Compare psychedelic integration psychotherapy to integration in peer and shamanic settings
Psychedelics 102: This day introduces clinical skills for psychedelic harm reduction and integration work in the clinical setting. This program focuses on translating research findings into clinical practice including working with patients who are considering using psychedelics, actually using psychedelics, or have used them. Includes discussion of assessment and integration techniques, resources, and legal and ethical issues.
- Assess clients for key “red flags” that indicate someone should seek specialized psychiatric care after a psychedelic experience
- Utilize principles of psychedelic-assisted therapy in a basic/initial assessment of clients who report psychedelic use
- List contraindications and discuss high risk cases of individuals who are contemplating psychedelic use
- Describe the role of the therapist in an individual’s integration psychotherapy process